Tuesday, March 31, 2009

INDEXING- THE GUESSING GAME


For my family history class we had an assignment that we had to do a batch of indexing. Indexing in a program found on Familysearch.org that allows you to volunteer to help automate hand written records, such as pre 1940 census records. All you have to do is sign up on Familysearch to volunteer. Some of the hand writing was very difficult to read but I was able to manage ok. If I couldn’t read it I just put unreadable on the screen. I must say that I am so glad that we have computers in our day, because I would hate to have to write all that information, typing it all in was hard enough. When I searched for census records for Lauren Hotchkiss Roundy, I found that in every census record his name was spelled differently. In one census his name was spelled Loran, in another Lorin, and in another Lovis. Lovis? I thought about why it was spelled so wrong and after I had the indexing experience I knew exactly why. Those hand written census records from the 1800's are hard to decipher.

No comments:

Post a Comment